Tuesday, October 25, 2016

SOC #36: A novel over a novel (NaNo Prep)

As NaNoWriMo is less than a week away, and I'm prepared to write a whole new novel, I feel a bit bad that I'm putting a novel on hold that I've been writing for the past few months called "The 11 Year Lapse." The thing about that work-in-progress is that the story itself is very personal to me. I was going to write it for CampNaNoWriMo in the month of July, but I was convinced that I must take my time writing it because I believe it's too important to just -- I guess you could say -- spew it on paper in just a month. I'm not saying writing a first draft of a novel in a span of a month is a bad thing -- it's obviously helpful to a lot of authors -- but sometimes one comes up with a story that cannot be taken lightly, and must be molded with delicate hands. "The 11 Year Lapse" is going to be one of my most serious works. My first novel "Rosemary and Despair" was very serious, but the subject matter is considered so taboo that I knew after I had finished it, hardly anyone was going to read it. But I still had the confidence to get it self-published anyway, because I had nothing to lose. It was a transgressive work of fiction, and that's that. Now, with my second novel "The Crazy between Us"(which as of yet to be in final draft), and the forthcoming one I'm writing for NaNoWriMo 2016, "Wind's Dark Sigh," are stories I kind of want to get off my chest right away. They really aren't the kind that really say much about myself -- some who know me may say otherwise, but honestly, with these two novels I'm simply trying to entertain the reader. I haven't heard about novels written regarding this social media age we are now living in. I find the subject matter of social media to be extremely fascinating. I saw a 60 Minutes episode about how social media celebrities become millionaires simply by being paid by companies to hawk their products on the social media celebrity's Instagram account. I mean, shit, it's just a picture, a picture they get paid up to two hundred thousand dollars for. Is that amazing, or is it just weird? It's a question I find so funny. Now, back to "The 11 Year Lapse." If you have read the first three chapters, and are eager to read what happens next, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to wait until I'm done with "Wind's Dark Sigh." I've had a good time writing "The 11 Year Lapse" thus far, because characters in the story aren't doing what I want them to do -- first time that's happened to me as a writer -- and it's so damn amazing it's come to that point. So  it sucks that I'm choosing an yet-to-be-written novel over a work-in-progress novel, but it must be done. We go through life making difficult decisions even if we know exactly what the consequences will be, but we make the decision regardless, because most of the time it's beyond our control, and we accept it as concrete truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment