Sunday, July 12, 2015

SOC #7: An apparent brush with Da' Thug Life

Stupidity is in every generation of humans. It's not their fault, they just act before thinking, never considering the consequences. My older coworker, his girlfriend, my friend and I went to a house party one Saturday evening. A typical college party we were invited to by my older coworker's girlfriend, whom was my age, attending the University. It wasn't in Isla Vista, I think it was in Santa Barbara, I guess. To tell you the truth I got drunk and stoned before hand, my attention span became a bit bleary on the cab ride to the party. We arrived. Took us a while because my older coworker lit a joint, pissing off the driver, so he got lost on purpose, increasing the number on the meter. I gladly helped pay the fee. Walking into the house to the sound of that same techno/industrial hip hop shit from the clubs I hated so much. God, why? The living room was one big dance floor of course, black lights, and strobe lights making a nice mock-club atmosphere. College kids freaking on the dance floor. "Jesus," I said to myself, "why don't you just take your cloths off and have an orgy? Party like an elitist." My friend asked me, "What's that, man?" I replied, raising my arms, "Let's party like Rockstars!" In unison, my friend and older coworker, both hollered, "Yeah, yeeeeah!" We all danced to the music for a bit, taking swigs from a bottle of Squirt half full of tequila. My other coworker arrived with two of his friends from Los Angeles. He held up a blunt. We made our way through the kitchen to the backyard, on our way I saw a door open to a garage-turned-entertainment center with couches and lounge chairs. Sitting on the couches and lounge chairs were college kids who drank a little over their body weight. They were either passed out or leaning forward, elbows on their thighs, losing their balance(though they were sitting). One of the college kids ran through the open sliding glass door, he was apparently one of the renters. He bleated, effeminate, "Oh my God! My neighbor just called me. Someone left their headlights on, and they're pointed right at their front window. Anyone own a dark blue Honda? I asked everyone else inside, they don't. If you guys don't, I'm about to break some lights with one of my golf clubs." The dude had to catch his breath when he was done talking. One of my coworker's friend said it was his, and left with the other friend in tow. The four of us stayed in the back until the blunt was done. I began to wonder what the hell I was doing their; I didn't feel I belonged with these people, this scene. By the graciousness of my friend's connection to a better paying job, I was here, away from my home town, experiencing a new environment, but not enjoying myself, because I knew better. This was my friends scene more than it was mine. He was all about living and doing without worry, as long as he didn't hurt anyone, and I found nothing wrong in it; it just didn't fit me. My boss wasn't paying us on a weekly basis anyway. Fucking cocksucker, mother-- The music went off inside the house. "Goddammit," my friend said, furious. He, my older coworker, and his girlfriend went inside. I stayed to have a cigarette. There were a few other people outside as well. One girl came up to me, and asked, "Do you worship Satan?" I answered, "No. I get it. It's my hair style." Then my friend came outside, saying, "We got to go. She already called a cab for us, so we got a ride. Can you leave with those assholes?" "Why?" I asked. "What happened?" He said, "Those two idiots tried to steal the laptop in front of everyone. Like no one was going to notice the music abruptly going off. They tried to run out the door, but obviously they got caught. Can you go with them, so they don't cause anymore trouble on the way back home?" I said, "Yeah, you got it." I got in the car with the morons, and on the ride they were saying how they grabbed the laptop playing the music, and almost opening the door. My coworker said, "That fag almost ripped your shirt off. Pretty strong for a fairy." His friend said, "We got caught! Fuck!" He then slapped the steering wheel. There was a long moment of silence. I was hoping they were coming to the realization that they sucked at thievery, and it wasn't for them. My coworker, much to my chagrin, broke the silence with, "Nah, man, THUG LIFE! That is thug life." And that's what they all chanted as the car sped on the freeway.

No comments:

Post a Comment